Thursday, November 29, 2012

Incarnate- NewSoul #1

5/5 rating.

Summary- For thousands of years every single person have always been reincarnated. To new bodies, but intact memories of their past lifetimes. Until one day, a new soul was born. Ana was born, except that she had never been born before. When she was born, another soul had vanished, and they blamed her for it. Even her own mother hated her, and her father had abandoned her. Finally sick of her life, Ana decided to leave her mother, in order to find out about her past. Why she was born. She decided to go to Heart, hoping she can learn more about her strange existance. But Ana's presence wasn't welcomed by everyone. In fact, it might threaten to hurt her, and other people in her life. And what if, the promise of reincarnation...was slipping away?

Firstly, I must say that the cover is just stunning. Don't you agree? It was what attracted me to this book afterall. It was a really good book, with an original plot. I loved the idea of everyone always being reincarnated, and yet here's a new soul. Someone who had never been born before. Can you just imagine, being born over and over again? Having to remember evernts of you past life, the way you died? Personally, I would hate it. I felt sorry for people like Sam, who are tormented by things from the past. Like dragons. Yeah if I was killed by a dragon 30 times, I would have nightmares too. And yet, I also felt sorry for Ana. It must've been absolutely terrifying for her. Being the only one who's different, and not knowing why that was. I mean, her father abandoned her, and her mother hates her. Parents are supposed to be there for their children, not make their life hell. Well I guess, I felt sorry for everyone in the book one way or another. Except maybe Li. I just don't like her.

The characters are also good. They're described nicely, but none of them are perfect. I really hate it when characters are described as 'perfect'. Let's face it, no one is perfect. Ana is a bit naive and insecure, but that's to be expected due to the treatment of her mother. And besides, she's only 15! But, she's also brave and loyal, which are very good characteristics. Sam is a kind, loyal guy who will do anything for people he cares about. He's also brave, and yet he also has fears of his own, which added a depth in his character. The other characters are also cool, such as Stef and Li. Well, I hate Li. What kind of mother treats her daughter like that? But still, her character was described nicely. Even from the start I knew that she wasn't exactly a good character. Stef was also cool. She was funny, and seems kinda like an older sister figure for Ana. I find it kinda funny how people can be reincarnated as a different gender...haha.

I also loved how the Ana is not a character who always needs saving. I really hate books where the girl appears weak and whiny. I mean yeah, she was saved and taken care by Sam. But she also did the same for him, so it was good. And well, those two are really cute :P
I just loved how they brought music to express their..love and life in general. I don't play any musical instruments, but I can imagine them pouring their soul into their music. And having the name 'Ana Incarnate'. It's pretty isn't it? And obviously, it was significant as she had always been called a no soul. I can just feel how much it must've meant for her.

My favourite part was the masquarade. I loved the idea of it, the celebration, the costumes. They were awesome. And I can imagine that Ana's costume must've been stunning. Personally I think a butterfly symbolises a new person, like a change in a person or metamorphosis. I think it suits Ana, though not the way she thinks it does. Ana thinks that she's a butterfly because she's fragile, as she was young. But I think that a butterfly symbolises how she's a new soul, which obviously is a change in their society. And I don't think that it's a bad thing. I just loved how Jodi Meadows had written this book.

Overall, it was a really good read. I just couldn't put the book down, and I had to finish it. There were still some questions left, like would the souls that died at the end be reborn? Or would there be more new souls? I really can't wait to read the next book which is coming next year.
It was a good utopian novel that definitely deserved a 5/5 rating. ^^

3 comments:

  1. I really liked the book! I loved the whole incarnation theme! I've been looking at the teams you're on and I agree with every single one! I love Jem but Will is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the review! I'm glad you liked Incarnate, it's really interesting isn't it?
      And yay someone else who's in Team Will!! :D

      Delete
  2. This one's on my kindle! need to bump it up!

    ReplyDelete