Monday, November 19, 2012

Spark- Elemental #2

Wow. That was a seriously good book. My friend recommended this series to me, said it was really good. So, I decided to request it from the library. And after my bio exam today, I went to the library to pick it up, and meet one of my friend. Well I was waiting for her, so I decided to read a little bit, see if I like it or not. And I just couldn't stop.

So the summary is that the Merrick brothers are Elementals, which means they can control an elemental each. This book is about Gabriel, who can control fire. Well, really he was learning how to control it. Then an arsonist started setting fires around the town, and there were evidence pointing to Gabriel. No one believed him, except a smart, kind girl in his maths class named Layne. It started with Layne helping him with maths, but ended up with more than that. And well, Layne had secrets of her own...

It was just really...addicting. This book realy hooks you. I love the plot too, how Gabriel could control fire. I like these kind of stories, if they're written well. But what hooks me is the personality of the characters. There was just so much angst in the book. Gabriel envies his twin brother Nick, who is always good with everything. It's like he automatically thinks that he's the 'bad' brother because of his envy. No one in his family actually thought that, but he did anyway. He was also expected to be like a bad boy or a troublemaker who sleeps with pretty much everyone. Just because he's good looking and is in the top basketball team. Yeah I wonder if that kind of thing happens in real life, or maybe just in America? Ehh I don't know. But anyway, really Gabriel is not like that at all. He's just..really guarded I guess. He doesn't like telling people about his secrets, and he becomes defensive. And Layne, was actually kinda similar to him. Not so much to the point that they just don't match though. Layne is struggling with the expectation of being 'perfect'. Her parents are rich, but she doesn't like people to know that because of her mother's expectations. Her mother always showed off how Layne is smart, good at horse riding etc. But in reality, Layne doesn't like being perfect. So, kinda like Gabriel, she becomes closed off in her own way. Personally, I think I understand what these characters feels. Sometimes in life, people expects really great things about you and it just...strangles you inside. For example, if you're asian, people automatically thinks that you must be like a genius in maths. But really, not everyone is like that. Expectations, especially from parents, can actually hurt people badly, especially teenagers. I think that this is an issue that many teenagers faces. Personally, I think that no one is perfect. Each and every one of us has flaws, and it's good that way. I mean, I don't really want to look exactly the same as everyone else...
And I also hate perfection in its own way. I think it's good when people makes mistakes, because we learn from them. So really, there is no need to be perfect.

Anyway, sorry for rambling there. I also loved the chemistry between Gabriel and Layne. It's cute, frustrating and also..nice I guess. They kinda kept having arguments, but slowly they started understanding each other. And well, they accepted each other's secrets. I think that's great. And well, I must admit the kissing scenes were also sweet XD

Haha, so, this is a book that you should definitely try to read. I don't think you'll regret it~ ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment