Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Lost Prince - Call of The Forgotten #1

Whoa, I finally finished it. I was so excited when I found out that Julie Kagawa wrote another Iron Fey book. I loved the original series. It was interesting, original and fun to read. Not mentioning the forbidden love that's totally romantic... :]

So, the summary- this book is about Ethan Chase, who if you've read the other books, you should remember. He is the Meghan's little brother, who was kidnapped by the Iron feys in 'Iron King'. He has now grown up (17 years old), but he has also grown bitter. He blames his sister for the state of their broken family- with Meghan being the Iron Queen. He also hates the feys, whom always tried to get him in trouble, especially in school. However, as one day a half-blood named Todd, disappeared, Ethan is dragged back into the world he had avoided for so long. Along with the human Kenzie, the mysterious faery Keirran, and the Summer faery Annwyln, Ethan now has to deal with feys who have been long.....forgotten.

Okay well, unfortunately I didn't like this book as much as the previous books. Overall, I rated it 3.5/5. Perhaps it's purely because it's Ethan's story. I'm just not used to reading it without having Meghan, Ash or Puck in it. Well they were in the story, but just barely. Ash and Puck came out twice, and Meghan only came out once. I've just gotten used to the original characters, that it was weird to read about someone else.

It was a very interesting idea though. Meghan's brother, who had been able to see feys since he was small, is now trying to avoid his sister's world. It was interesting to see how Ethan would react to the Meghan's world, as he was very young when it happened to Meghan. Obviously the fact that Meghan doesn't age, and hardly sees her family anymore puts a strain in their relationship. I also liked the idea of The Forgotten. If you've read Iron Knight, surely you would remember them from Ash and Puck's journey. They are from that ghost city that they visited in that book. The moment I saw the title, I knew it was going to be about them. Obviously, the Forgottens doesn't want to disappear, so this whole disappearing mess is their fault. I kinda feel sorry for them, being left to vanish, and only able to live if they steal other faeries' glamour. Sad, don't you think?

So, now the characters. I really wished Meghan, Puck and Ash came out more!! Puck certainly haven't changed, and I kinda wished he can bring more humour into the book like he did with the other books. There wasn't much of Meghan, but I don't think she changed too much. Certainly being the Iron Queen made her stricter, but I think she's still the same Meghan. Ash obviously changed the most, but that's to be expected. He did nearly get himself killed to be with Meghan you know? But it seems like to other people, he's still the same cold, intimidating faery. Ethan....well I don't like him much to be honest. I understand that he's angry at Meghan for leaving him. But really, sometimes his actions are just plain annoying. Like when he snapped at her the first time they met in this book. Clearly she was only trying to protect him, but he acts as if she's trying to prison him or something. As the book progressed though, Ethan started to understand why Meghan hid things from her family. The Fey world is dangerous to humans, so she was just trying to protect them. Keirran was kinda interesting. I knew from the start that he was Meghan and Ash's son. Well Ash did have a vision of him in Iron Knight. Obviously, Keirran had more features of Meghan than Ash. Including his personality. He tends to do things without telling others...dangerous things. He's also quite kind, and I knew that he would have the blood of all the Courts. Summer, Winter and Iron. Certainly makes him interesting, and dangerous too don't you think? He's also like Ash in the sense that he's attracted to forbidden love. Geez, what is it with them? haha :D His love interest is an exiled, Summer fey named Annwyln. Funny, considering his Dad was also in love with a half human, half Summer faery. Who ended up being the Iron Queen! Julie Kagawa certainly makes interesting forbidden love stories~


I liked how we also see other original characters such as Leanansidhe and Grimalkin. Those two certainly have not changed. Honestly, this book does kinda remind me of the other books. Keirran and Ethan are kinda like Ash and Puck. And what do you know, Grimalkin are with them as well. Funny how history repeats itself ^^
The ending was kinda unexpected. I hope that nothing bad happens to Keirran regarding his promise to the Lady. I also wonder how he's going to sort out his relationship with Annwyln. I laughed when I read the part at the end. How Ash pretty much sighed when he saw that his son is in love with a Summer faery. Must've reminded him of himself huh? I don't think it'll be easy for the two of them to be together though. Also Ethan and Kenzie's relationship. It also won't be easy for them, so I'm looking forward to knowing how that's going to work. Uhh yeah, the ending pretty much shows that there's another book coming. There's still things left unanswered, so... I can't wait! I hope I'll like the next  book better. Perhaps if it was written in Keirran's point of view?? :P

No comments:

Post a Comment