Sunday, December 02, 2012

The Gatekeeper's Sons

Firstly, I just want to say, it was awesome when I checked my email one morning and found out that Eva Pohler had followed me on twitter. Wow, a published author followed me on twitter!! :O (@EvaPohler)
Unfortunately though, I haven't read any of her books, so I decided to check it out.

Summary (according to goodreads)- Fifteen-year-old Therese watches her parents die. While in a coma, she meets the twin sons of Hades—Hypnos, the god of sleep, and Thanatos, the god of death. She thinks she's manipulating a dream, not kissing the god of death and totally rocking his world. 
Than makes a deal with Hades and goes as a mortal to the Upperworld to try and win Therese's heart, but not all the gods are happy. Some give her gifts. Others try to kill her.
The deal requires Therese to avenge the death of her parents. With the help of Than’s fierce and exotic sisters, the Furies, she finds herself in an arena face to face with the murderer, and only one will survive


Alright, well I gave this book 3/5. It was an interesting idea, linking greek mythology to modern life. I've always been intrigued with greek mythology, that's why I decided to read this book. I liked the whole idea of the girl being able to control her dreams, although it was confusing how and why she was able to do it. I liked how she described the Underworld, and the author did include a lot of other gods and goddesses as well. I don't know why though, but this book just didn't 'grab' me. The way it was written wasn't bad, but unfortunately it wasn't amazing either. I think it needed a bit more descriptions, and there were some mistakes that I found (I think so anyway). The characters were alright, but I didn't think there was enough depth to make them particularly interesting. For example, Therese. Her parents had just died, so I expected some kind of....change in her personality. However, I didn't even think she was sad enough. I just felt that something was missing in her 'grieving'. I also didn't like how she suddenly kissed Hypnos and Than at the start. Okay, she thought it was a dream. But still, I just couldn't understand why she would do that. I mean, they're strangers and Than was taking her parents to Underworld. If I was her, I would try to stop him instead.... I'm sorry but I just didn't understand. There were also a lot of characters, which makes it kinda hard for me to remember. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I've always find it hard to remember characters' names..

When I first read the summary, I also though that it was going to be a love triangle. I was preparing myself to be annoyed once again...(I hate love triangles). However, surprisingly it wasn't. Well there was a tiny hint that it could be, but it was obvious that Therese chose Than. Which is good. Thank you Eva Pohler for saving me from another love triangle! ^^

Anyway, the whole mythology twist in the book was interesting. I loved how the Furies tortured those bad guys. Scary, disgusting but kinda funny in a way. (Don't ask why, I don't know!)
It was a pretty good book, so check it out~ :]

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reading and reviewing my book, Flavia! If you're interested in learning more about how people control their dreams, you should google "lucid dreaming." Therese's ability isn't uncommon, especially among people her age.

    I'm sorry you didn't connect with the characters, but if you decide you'd like to give the second book a try, please email me at evapohler@sbcglobal.net, and I'll send you a coupon for a free ebook version as a thank you for your review.

    Sincerely,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete