Friday, December 07, 2012

The Gatekeeper's Challenge- Gatekeeper's Trilogy #2

Overall rating- 4 /5

Summary (Goodreads)- Ten agonizing months have gone by since Therese faced off against her parents’ murderer at Mount Olympus, and she suspects Thanatos’s absence is meant to send her a message: go on with your life. She tries to return Pete’s affections even though her heart aches for the god of death, but when Than shows up to take her hamster’s soul, she becomes infuriated when he says he’s “been busy.” In cahoots with her new friend, who's gotten in with the Demon Druggies at school, Therese takes a drug that simulates a near-death experience, planning to tell Than off so she can have closure and move on, but things go very, very wrong.

Eventually she learns Than has been busy searching for a way to make her a god, and he’s found it, but it requires her to complete a set of impossible challenges designed by Hades, who hopes to see her fail.


So, honestly I enjoyed this book much better than the 1st one. I enjoyed seeing the different gods and goddesses, and how they act in this book. I actually don't like some views that the gods and goddesses have. Like for example how they think Therese's weak for not killing the killer from book 1. Personally, I think that makes her someone with compassion. I mean, I value life and I don't think I could ever kill someone no matter what that person did. And how Aphrodite said that beauty is pretty much better than love. Hey, that's not true! Love goes way~ deeper than beauty. Or it should anyway. Haha but I guess even from the myths, the gods and goddesses aren't very likeable characters anyway~ haha :D
But still, I liked how they were described in this book. I think Eva Pohler had done a good job with that.

Oh, and I understood the character better. (YAY!)
I guess I understand the reasons of their actions. Like Therese and Vicki taking drugs to see their loved ones. I understand that they must've missed their loved ones so much, and just wanted to see them. But, it doesn't mean I agree with their actions!! No, in fact that was kinda annoying. Yup, don't ever take drugs for any reason! See what happened with Vicki? Not such a good result after all huh?
And I was annoyed with Therese for being so angry at Than and trying to love Pete. Yeah, again I understand that she thought Than doesn't love her anymore. She must think that he forgot about her, especially since they had no communication. That must've been pretty devastating for her. But it still annoys me! While Than is doing dangerous things, she's off kissing Pete! How could you! Haha, have you ever had the urge to jump into a book and just smack the character on the head?

I also liked the challenges that were given to Therese. It's interesting that they're challenges that are listen in greek myths. I mean like when she had to give the box to Persephone without opening it. Yup, in the greek myths, that's Psyche's challenge when she wanted to stay with Cupid/Eros. And Therese completed it! Whoa, she must have very strong will! I guess I expected her to fail one way or another though. I mean, since most gods hated her, they wouldn't make it easy for her. They would do everything they could to stop her. And yeah, she failed the last challenge. It was kinda sad though, who knew falling in love can be so hard huh?
But whoa, so they decided to do it...I guess illegally? Oooh~ they're so gonna be in trouble! I liked how Than also burned himself with Therese though. That was so sweet! I mean, he's immortal but it must hurt really bad! 

Anyway, ohh I wonder what's gonna happen in the next book~
So according to the little preview, Persephone and Demeter are in trial. Oh and Therese and Than ended up in the court surrounded by the gods and goddeses! Whoa, intense~

Haha, anyway yeah you should check it out! Especially if you like greek mythology~ :]

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this awesome review, Flavia! I'm so glad you liked the book.

    ReplyDelete