Sunday, December 30, 2012

Elemental Reality- Elemental#1

Rating- 3/5
Summary (Goodreads)- When Callie Pierce was ten, her mother disappeared without a trace. On the eve of her disappearance twelve years later, the earth seemingly comes alive. The elements speak to Callie, and that's only the beginning. Everything she has ever known was a twisted fabrication to protect her. Now the truth is set free. Callie and her sister are more powerful than any Faerie ever born. Now they have to use their powers to save their mother and family from the evil hands of fate that threaten to tear them apart. Welcome to her elemental reality.

Well to be honest, I'm not quite sure what to think about what this book. I'm not sure that I really liked it...
The plot itself was interesting at the start. It seemed quite mysterious with how Callie's mother disappeared and it turned out she was protecting her kids from Demons. However, I think it kinda dragged on a little bit, and some things didn't need to be there. I thought that after Callie and Lola found out about her powers, they would pretty much go into battle straight away. I mean, wouldn't you expect most of the story to be some kind of  confrontation with the Demons? Well yeah they did confront Cayden, Apryll, and Mia, but it wasn't really much of a confrontation. I understand that these girls are very powerful, but I found it a bit unbelievable. Maybe it was because of the way it was described? I'm not sure...
And the battle scene? I mean come on~ The battle itself was only for like....2-3 pages! It's like, Callie found out the truth about Cayden, tried to trick him, he hits her, they lost, Callie and Oli were left behind. There wasn't any cool moves, tricks or display of power happening. For someone with extremely powerful abilities, they were definitely beaten very fast. After reading all about them training, finding new powers etc, I expected much more of a fight. So yeah, I was disappointed~

The characters themselves are alright. However, I didn't feel like they developed very much. I liked Ady and Emery as they were very good best friends. Even though they just found out Callie's not human, they stayed with her and supported her. They also believed her when she found out about the Elders, and comforted her. So yeah, I liked them. Callie herself was alright. I think she developed in regard of her powers and knowledge, but not so much in her personality. Honestly, I'm not even sure what to say about her. She's not a bad character, but she's definitely not my favourite heroine either. I also found Lola very confusing. It's just that....well is she good or bad? Although it said that she was possessed by demons, why is it that she's the only one? Why not Callie? Or Oli? Or their Dad? Wouldn't it be much better to possess people that the girls loves? And that thing at the end? Yeah I'm confused.... I think I need more clues to figure out all these puzzles. Cayden was very confusing too! At first he seemed bad, then totally good, then suddenly he's all evil. Uhmm is he the main antagonist? I don't even have the slightest clue about his motives, and it confused me even more. And who is this Keaton? If he really is the evil, Demon leader, shouldn't we see more of him? Yeah maybe the author is saving him for the next book, but I just think he should've appeared more. I mean, it's not exactly clear at the moment who is the leader of the Demons....

And one more thing about Lola. I'm guessing her soul mate is a Demon huh? To be honest, that might be kinda expected... ~sigh~ I just wish there are more clues to who this 'soul mate' is. Perhaps I do have an idea, but... I don't know~

Anyway, overall it wasn't a bad book. There were just things that confused me, and I felt that it wasn't developed very well. Also, I'm annoyed with the fact that the battle scene is so short! When I read a fantasy/adventure book, I expect lots of battle scenes, not merely a few pages. So yeah~
If you like faerie stories then maybe try to read it. Don't have a high expectation though, or you might not enjoy it.. I still want to read the second book, and I hope it will be a much better one~

No comments:

Post a Comment