Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Black City- Black City#1

Rating- 3/5

Summary(Goodreads)-  A dark and tender post-apocalyptic love story set in the aftermath of a bloody war.

In a city where humans and Darklings are now separated by a high wall and tensions between the two races still simmer after a terrible war, sixteen-year-olds Ash Fisher, a half-blood Darkling, and Natalie Buchanan, a human and the daughter of the Emissary, meet and do the unthinkable—they fall in love. Bonded by a mysterious connection that causes Ash’s long-dormant heart to beat, Ash and Natalie first deny and then struggle to fight their forbidden feelings for each other, knowing if they’re caught, they’ll be executed—but their feelings are too strong.

When Ash and Natalie then find themselves at the center of a deadly conspiracy that threatens to pull the humans and Darklings back into war, they must make hard choices that could result in both their deaths.


It is with a heavy heart that I gave this book a 3/5 rating. I really wanted to rate it higher, since it's the type of book that I usually like. However, there were just some things that were lacking in this book.

It wasn't a bad book, not at all. The idea was in a way original, and interesting. I liked the idea of Darklings, although they are kinda similar to a vampire. But they had different abilities too such as giving out Haze from their venom. I also liked the idea of the Wrath disease, it was quite interesting finding out where the disease came from. But I have to say, it still didn't deliver a good enough story for me to give a higher rating.

The first thing is the characters. Natalie was a rich and important girl who secretly doesn't agree with her mother's ways. I liked how she was brave, and she knew what was right despite her mother's teachings. However, it is strange how she doesn't really have many guards. Okay, she has Sebastian. But really? One or two guards only? For someone who is such an improtant person, she wasn't guarded very heavily. I mean, she could still easily hang out with Ash and the others without being found out. Especially with the fact that her mother knew she was in danger. Shouldn't she be protected more? And also I was a bit annoyed with how she dismissed her friend. Alright, her friend didn't approve of Natalie's relationship with Ash and made her choose between the two of them, which was unfair. But Natalie straight away chose Ash! Without even thinking! Wait, what happened with not liking Darklings, and having a really good friend? She shouldn't have chosen Ash so quickly!

That's the other thing that I found a bit unrealistic- Natalie and Ash's relationship. At the start, they both hated each other (or at least they were wary of each other). But then, suddenly it's all lovey-dovey. How did that happen? Especially for Ash. Ash was described to be a cold guy, a bad boy and someone who despise the Sentry. Shouldn't he hate Natalie then? Okay, he fell in love with her, fair enough. However, I felt that his love should've been shown in more subtle ways. Does it really make sense for a guy with his personality to flat out send a note that says he loves her? Personally, I think it would make more sense if he kept it secret. He can still show it in small but obvious ways. Things like saving her was good, but I don't think he should've straight away declared his love to Natalie. It just made me confused to what his personality is really like. And the whole thing with Evangeline? Ugh, annoying. Usually with love triangles, I at least respect the other character. But Evangeline? I just didn't get her at all. I think that Natalie and Ash got together way too fast. It just felt a bit unrealitstic.

And yet, I still liked this book. (I don't love it though)
That's because I think it has the potential of becoming a really good series. The plot can become really interesting, and I hope that it will be. Therefore, I'm still looking forward to reading the next book- Phoenix. I hope that the characters would be developed better, and I would enjoy it more.
Nonetheless, maybe give it a try, and tell me what you think about it??

2 comments:

  1. I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! It'll be on my blog soon. You can go check it out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ehh really? I wasn't there....
      but thank you anyway, I'm glad you like my blog! ^^

      Delete