Friday, March 29, 2013

Clockwork Princess- Infernal Devices #3

Rating :5/5 

Summary (Goodreads)Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy

Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.


OMG it's the third book! OMG it's absolutely amazing! But it's over now, no I have to read it again. Ahh Tessa, Will, Jem..everyone are just so!! Phew~ Breathe..... 

Okay. Well sorry about that, I'm merely absolutely blown away by this book. So as you might know, I totally died (not literally XD) at the end of Clockwork Princess, because of so~ many things! I just couldn't wait for the third book. But unfortunately, I had to wait for 1 YEAR! That was painful....One of the downsides of reading books as soon as it came out is that I have to wait FOREVER for the next book. Therefore when it came out, I went to get it as soon as possible. And, I got the Collector's Edition!! Wohoo~ Hold on. A warning for you. If you get the collector's edition, DO NOT open the poster at the back. It contains a family tree that will spoil everything in this book. Yes, it won't only spoil who Tessa end up with, but also everyone else. So, don't open it. Finish the book first!! 

Well, for the story itself. It's really hard to write a review without spoiling anything!! 
It was just nicely written, like the other two books. I love the setting, the idea of Victorian London always intrigued me. I loved how the characters also reflected this time period. Either by their dialogue, their clothing, actions etc. 
So. If you're wondering whether Tessa's going to marry Jem as soon as the book started, you're wrong. It's not that easy. They still have to deal with Mortmain, Jem's sickness and other problems. 
Firstly, Cecily who is Will's sister started living at the Institute. I loved her character. She's nice, brave, witty and quite independent. She's also one of the few people who can stand up to Will. Reading about their little fights is rather enjoyable. I was also happy to read how Will seem to be a little bit more happy because Cecily is there. I mean, he finally get to be with his sister after so~ long! I'm totally happy for them. 
Another character that started living with the is Gilbert Lightwood. Do you remember him? He's Gideon's younger brother. I must say he's rather moody, and I wasn't sure if I should trust him at the start....but he's not a bad character. It's interesting how the new characters interacted with each other..

Also, I started  liking Gideon and Sophie even more!! They were so cute in Clockwork Prince, and they're even cuter here! Haha. Sophie is so nice and loyal, I really liked her. She also tried to ignore Gideon because he's of a higher status. (and we see the link to Victorian London here) Although the key word there, is TRIED. Gideon was also rather funny. He obviously like Sophie, and he used such random ways to get her attention. Like for example, asking for scones even though he doesn't like it? Haha I just had to laugh at that (you'll understand if you read it, I'm sure). These two quickly became my favourite characters. 

Okay, now the main characters. Uhh I'll keep this one short, because I don't want to spoil anything. (I'll try not to anyway). It's kinda hard not to talk about them and not spoil anything. Firstly Tessa. As usual, Tessa is an independent and brave person, and I admired her for that. She doesn't let Will and Jem stop her from fighting, and I think that shows what kind of person she is. In this book, she was also torn between Jem andWill. Okay we know she was torn in the other two books as well. But at Clockwork Prince she finally realised that Will love her too, and that I think, made her guilty as well as torn. Jem is also getting worse, as we know will come. The main plot for Jem in this book (I think) is getting through his sickness so he can be with Tessa and Will. Will however...~sigh~ he's such a complicated character. In this book he's more open, obviously because he know he has no curse. He started interacting with other characters more, although that doesn't mean his personality totally changed. He's just..not as closed off as before. The only thing he's still closed off about is his feelings for Tessa. His relationship with Tessa became a bit awkward at the start, and they both didn't want that, but they both weren't sure how to fix it. He's also trying to hide his feelings and is torn whether he should tell Jem or not. I think it's rather interesting, because a lot of events in this book happened in Will's point of view. I wonder...if Cassandra Clare is actually a fan of Will? Hmm... 
Anyway, I liked how these three characters interacted. It's interesting because even though they both love Tessa, Jem and Will love each other as well (for a different reason of course). Usually in a love triangle, the two guys hates each other, but in this book they have a very strong, unbreakable bond. It makes it more interesting, and more complicated as well. 

Whoa, I just realised I'm rambling.... Haha, sorry about that. As I said before I won't write my thoughts on the ending (although I'm dying too). So, you guys should all go and read it!! I really think that it was an amazing book, and the Infernal Devices is one of my favourite series. I'm just a bit sad that it's over....
No matter, I'm going to re-read it now!! XD

No comments:

Post a Comment