Saturday, March 09, 2013

Asunder- New Soul #2

Rating: 4.5/5
Summary (Goodreads):
DARKSOULS
Ana has always been the only one. Asunder. Apart. But after Templedark, when many residents of Heart were lost forever, some hold Ana responsible for the darksouls–and the newsouls who may be born in their place.

SHADOWS
Many are afraid of Ana’s presence, a constant reminder of unstoppable changes and the unknown. When sylph begin behaving differently toward her and people turn violent, Ana must learn to stand up not only for herself but for those who cannot stand up for themselves.

LOVE
Ana was told that nosouls can’t love. But newsouls? More than anything, she wants to live and love as an equal among the citizens of Heart, but even when Sam professes his deepest feelings, it seems impossible to overcome a lifetime of rejection.

In this second book in the Incarnate trilogy, Ana discovers the truth about reincarnation and will have to find a way to embrace love and make her young life meaningful. Once again, Jodi Meadows explores the extraordinary beauty and shadowed depths of the soul in a story equal parts epic romance and captivating fantasy. 


I was so excited to finally read this book!  The cover is really nice, and I hoped that the story would be even better. I'm glad that Jodi Meadows didn't disappoint~ :]

One thing that I noticed the most is how much Ana has grown since the 1st book. In Incarnate, I think she depended a lot on Sam. She wasn't weak, but I just think that she's much stronger in this book. For example she focused strongly on how to save the newsouls and uncover the truth. She did many courageous things in this book like during the explosions, while making the speech, while talking to Meuric etc. I just admired her determination here. I also loved how the author is developing Ana's relationship with Sam. Although the love is clearly there, I'm glad that they didn't rush anything. I'm glad that the author wrote about how awkward their relationship can be. No matter what, there's a 5000 years gap between them. Sometimes, with books where one of the character is immortal, they don't bring up this issue very well. There certainly would be doubt, like obviously Sam had lovers in the past too. I was really impressed with how this issue was dealt with, so their relationship doesn't seem unrealistic. 
Sam was also developed nicely in this book. He's still that kind, musical guy from the first book. But, in this book we learn more about his past. I must admit...I wasn't very surprised about Stef, and I had a feeling about Cris as well~ 

The plot was very nice as well. Ana learnt more about Janan, and why everyone kept getting reincarnated. More newsouls also finally arrived, and their mothers named them after Ana! (Anid and  Arianna) Isn't that nice? There were also tension between Ana and most of the public, as they obviously don't trust them. 

Now, please don't continue if you haven't read the book~ (spoilers)


I was so surprised that Janan was only a man!! I mean~ WHAT!? And he ate newsouls in order for everyone to keep being reincarnated? That's just sick! I mean, can you imagine how many souls must have been eaten, since it has been 5000 years? It's so sad to think that the people worshiped someone so twisted like that. And the fact that they chose this life? Even though it has been many years ago and they were young, that was still very surprising. I just can't imagine how Sam's gonna react when Ana tells him about this fact. I also wonder why Janan kept everyone alive for so long. There must be something that he wants by using these people. Something that needed to be done 5000 years later, during the Year of Souls. Man, I really need that third book now!! T_T

And Cris!!! I can't believe he did that!? I really liked him, since he was nice and interesting (with his flowers :] ). I liked him way~ better than Stef. Nah, I don't like Stef at all :P 
I was so sad when he sacrificed himself! And he turned into a sylph!! That was really intriguing actually. I wonder how that works...I hope it'll be revealed in the third book. Awww~ I really wished he didn't do that! :(

Anyway, I really, really enjoyed reading this book. Now I'm gonna be dying, waiting desperately for the next book.... ~sigh~ 

2 comments:

  1. I read the first book and I LOVED it! I'm not a huge fan of incarnations and stuff, but the first one got me hooked. I'll be reading this one soon :)

    ReplyDelete