Saturday, February 02, 2013

Fracture- Fracture#1

Rating- 3.5/5

Summary (Goodreads)- Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening?

For fans of best-sellers like Before I Fall and If I Stay, this is a fascinating and heart-rending story about love and friendship and the fine line between life and death.

This was quite an interesting book. So Delaney fell into and icy lake and was there for 11 minutes. Which means that she should've been dead. Instead she woke up from a 6 days coma and left with a...creepy power? She then always felt a pull to whenever someone is about to die. To be honest, it's not the first time I've read something with this idea. However, I think that how this book developed this idea was pretty good. From what I can tell, she gained the power because of her near-death experience. This was also shown by Troy, who also had a near-death experience, and has the same power. Troy was a...conflicted character I suppose. But unfortunately, it wasn't a i-can't-put-it-down kind of book.

I don't know if it was just the style of writing that didn't quite hook me. Perhaps it's just because I kinda got annoyed at how Delaney and Decker kept dancing around each other. Just hurry up and get together already! I think that it's cool how they had been together since they were small. I've always wanted a guy best friend. Must be fun. I guess it was pretty obvious that Decker liked her. I mean seriously, he liked...totally panicked when she fell in. That part was probably the best part of the book. It just showed how much he cared for her. But I can't believe they didn't get together afterwards. I suppose it was kinda awkward knowing that your best friend likes you...
Not to mention that Decker made the mistake of being with Tara to try and forget how Delaney was dying. Although I still think that's stupid, it does make sense afterall. I think that when someone is in such despair/depression, they tend to do stupid things. Like what Decker did. Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

Delaney was also quite conflicted in this book. She was very confused by how she managed to survive, and trying to get back to normal. But of course, nothing can get back to the way it was before. She was fighting against her feeling for Decker, not to mention the sudden over-protectiveness of her mother. It seems like her parents had always been protective, but her mother was obviously very distressed by Delaney's accident. She became paranoid, even to the point of forcing Delaney to eat her medicines. I felt bad for her...just imagine how she must've felt, seeing her only daughter lying in a coma? It must've been heart-wrenching for her.
So, Delaney then tried to find comfort in Troy, who seemed to understand what she was going through. He was really the most confusing character in this story.

He seemed quite nice at the start..understanding. Although it was really suspicious how he knew all about her. But then he became quite obsessive, and scarier? I don't know...there was just something off about him. It was pretty much explained at the end though~ (I don't want to spoil it :P )
The ending was...I don't know if I liked it or not. It was okay I suppose. At least Decker and Delaney are finally...together? They are right? Delaney's mom's actions are also explained somewhere at the end. Though it wasn't a.. spectacular or life-changing kinda ending, it was nice. It just lacked...something? I'm not sure either if this means the story's finished, or there's going to be a second book. Perhaps, since there are things at the end that needs to be developed more.

Nonetheless, it wouldn't hurt to pick up this book and read it. So maybe give it a try? ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment